Objectives of Dunearn SAP
- To increase student’s knowledge and interest in a variety of Science and Mathematics topics
- To enable students to communicate science concepts to a range of listeners and share their passion for science
- To provide a platform for high ability Science students to be further engaged in Science through collaborative learning and learning opportunities.
Overview of Dunearn SAP
Programmes & Highlights
- Organisation of Science & Math Week, and Food Science & Environment Week in Term 2
- Youth STEM Empowerment Programme (YSEP) with Science Centre
- Enrichment Workshops by the Singapore Science Centre and industry partners
- Competitions organised by various polytechnics and the Singapore Science Centre
The achievements by our students include:
- 1st runner-up in the Eat Your Farm Competition 2022 - Two teams of nine students participated in the Interschool Eat Your Farm Competition 2022 organised by Science Centre and Republic Polytechnic on 18 Aug 2022. The teams were equipped with knowledge through online workshops on food nutrition, hydroponics and micro:bit. They were also exposed to food innovation technologies in an eye-opening journey to Republic Polytechnic. Using over two months to develop and finalised their ideas and dish, the teams planned and created a nutritious, sumptuous and attractive dish for teenagers which feature the hydroponic vegetables that they have grown.
- 1st runner-up in the Nutri-Booster Competition 2021 - Two teams comprising nine students participated in the Interschool Food Science Competition organized by Republic Polytechnic and the Singapore Science Centre. During this competition, the teams attended courses on healthy food and making of dietary supplements using capsule machine. The teams used the knowledge gained from the online modules and Lower Secondary ALP Food Science modules to plan and create a main dish to satisfy the nutritional needs of busy young adults aged 18 – 35 years old. Over a period of two months, the teams developed and finalised their ideas, and also created a dietary supplement to complement the main dish.
- Ashlynn (Sec 3 2021) was among the top 10% of the cohort to achieve the Amazon Future Engineer Bursary Award in recognition to her outstanding performance! – Ashlynn demonstrated a passion for STEM and her project with the other Dunearn SAP students in the STEM Showcase at Science Centre in November 2020. She also exemplified commitment to the programme and showed a positive attitude towards peers and mentors.
- Graduation from Youth Science Ambassadors Programme – In February 2021, a team of SAP students celebrated their successful completion of the programme and received their certificates. These students had contributed 50 hours each in the form of community events and science skills workshops. We congratulate the students on their achievements.
- 2nd runner-up for Picky Palette Food Science Competition 2019 - Three teams of fifteen students from SAP and Health Ambassador Programme (HAP) participated in the Interschool Food Science Competition held at Republic Polytechnic on 28 Aug 2019. During this competition, the teams are required to create a healthy nutritious food product and packaging for picky eaters from age 4 to 7. More than 20 teams from several STEM ALP schools took part in this competition. The teams spent a period of two months to develop and finalise their ideas and products.
- Australian Big Science Competition – Sec 2 to 4 SAP students took part in the Big Science Competition 2019 and they performed well by attaining 2 High Distinctions, 4 Distinctions and 7 Credits in all.
- Champion for Engineering Explorer 2017 – Two teams took part in the PICO Mouse Race on 23 Mar 2017. The team comprising Kirsty, Jia Hui, Joy and Siew Mun did the school proud by clinching the Champion title for the competition.
- Most Innovative Award for Nanyang Poly Science & Technology Challenge 2017 – 21 SAP students took part in a total of 6 categories. The team comprising Jia Hui, Wen Ming, Asyiqin and Heng Xun clinched the Most Innovative Award for the category of Projectile Launcher.
- Champion for Shell STEM Young Innovators Challenge 2016 - Two teams of ten students from Dunearn Science Ambassador Programme (SAP) participated in the Shell STEM Young Innovation Challenge at Republic Polytechnic on 21st July 2016. The team comprising Siew Mun, Jia Hui, Wei Wen, Jolie and Stephen emerged Champion for the Food Science & Analytics category. The team subsequently went on to present their work during the MOE Excel Fest 2017.
Dunearn students emerged 1st runner-up in the Nutri-Booster Competition 2021
Presentation of the Amazon Future Engineer Bursary Award by the Guest of Honour at the Singapore Science Centre in 2021
SAP students emerged 2nd runner-up for the Picky Palette Food Science Competition 2019
SAP students emerged Champion for the Shell STEM Youth Innovation Challenge 2016
SAP students who graduated from the Youth Science Ambassadors Programme 2019 and their mentors
SAP students receiving their Champion trophy for the PICO Mouse Race 2017
Team that won the Most Innovative Project Launcher Award in the Nanyang Poly Science & Technology Challenge 2017, together with their creation
Students Reflections on their experiences in SAP and food science competitions
I had learnt a lot about science and its theories. I am passionate about this programme because it is very interesting and it relates to our everyday life. Through this programme, I learnt that science is a tool I can use to understand the world around me. It provides logic and sense. I also realised that the more we know about science, the more we would be curious and we can start to do research related to science to satisfy our curiosity and improve our knowledge on it. Therefore, I find this programme very helpful and it was filled with new experiences.
Through this competition, I have learnt how to plan meals based on individual preferences and needs. I throughly enjoyed the competition as I was accompanied by students and teachers who are very welcoming and knowledgeable!”
The overall experience was interesting and I had a lot of fun learning through the process.